I just read an article in Entrepreneur Magazine that talked about a recent Tweet on Twitter where viewers were asked what the difference was between a small business owner and an entrepreneur. The answers were very interesting: the one I liked the best said that small biz owners were those who worked from 9 to 5 and then walked away from the business til the next day. An entrepreneur, on the other hand, was someone who focused on the business 24/7. They were passionate about growing their company and wanted support, guidance and education to help them with their passion.
I see these two types of businesses all the time. The one finds excuses not to do things outside the norm: "It's too early. I can't possible get up to go to a meeting that early". "I had a friend come over. Haven't seen her in so long. I can't possibly come to a meeting. I need to see my friend." "I've been in business for many years, I'm sure there's nothing new out there for me to learn."
The other type finds ways to get involved and anticipates good things will happen if they put in some effort. "It's always good to share experiences, and expertise. By being a part of this group, I can not only learn from others, but I can share what my experiences have been as well." "The more I give to others, the more I get back in the long-run."
Do you know business owners like these two? Which type do you think has the stronger business? Which are you? Think about it -- I know the type I want to be. Do you?
No comments:
Post a Comment