’ve been in business in one way or another since I was 12 years old. I
started a craft store in my mom and dad’s basement and I sold macramé,
potholders, knitted sweaters and scarves, embroidery – all handmade
items. I even had employees: my mom and my sister. I also ran a
tutoring/school for neighborhood kids in the summer time. Like the Pied
Piper, I would go around the block, picking up smaller kids and bringing
them to my backyard, where we would read stories, have snacks, play
games and learn lessons in math, reading, science and more. I loved it,
and it made me a little money that I used to buy things like a guitar, a
bedroom set (cause I was tired of my twin bed and wanted something
bigger). My parents told me that if I wanted something badly enough, I
could work to earn it myself, and so I did.
By the time I was in college, (a small private liberal arts college –
that I paid for out of money I earned, and student loans) I had created
a new business, typing term papers for other students, and even saved
enough money to buy a brand new IBM Selectric III typewriter which I
used to type dissertations for students at the local university.
All this brought me to Washington, DC after my doctoral program
ended. And it was here that I first created my “grown up business” where
I worked with small business owners, renting them office space, helping
with their marketing, running their back offices, and providing them
with training and growth strategies. It was also during this time that I
really learned about running my own business. There were days of great
success – at one time I had 10 contractors working with me on a large
government contract. At another I had 3000 square feet of office space
that I rented to attorneys, a dotcom company, and a financial planner. I
also did non-profit management for organizations such as one that is a
nonpartisan, policy neutral organization focusing on energy, and the
environment.
And there were days of despair – during the time that I was at my
peak, I got sick and for two years had to trust my operations manager to
take care of business for me (I was in and out of hospitals for
surgeries on my eyes for one thing). By the time I was able to take back
the management of the company, there was basically no company left to
manage. Clients had left because they hadn’t had good service, their
work hadn’t been handled with care or consideration, and basically they
had gotten “ticked off”. Only the few that were extremely loyal to me
were still there. It was all I could do to NOT run screaming into the
darkness in utter despair.
But, guess what? I started over, I worked hard, I went to networking
groups, I became part of mastermind programs, talking with others who
have been out there and have perhaps learned how to do things
differently from me, and perhaps they have grown in ways that I hadn’t.
In other words, I’ve adapted, I’ve grown, and I’ve made my way back up
the ropes again. I’m now poised to take off and fly. And I want to be
there for you. I’ve recently become a Certified Mastermind Facilitator
(a method of business growth and success that I HIGHLY recommend) and I
want to share with others; to help educate and train those that are
willing to step out from their comfort zone and embrace different and
new techniques in order to make their businesses as successful as they
can. Are you interested? I guarantee that you’ll find help, support and
grow your business!
No comments:
Post a Comment